The History of Seymour, Wisconsin

The Hotel Seymour Supperclub was originally the Hotel Falck, named after its original founder, George Falck. It has been a staple of the history of Seymour, WI since 1898, and even a fire in the 1950’s could not stop its influence. The history of Seymour does not stop with our hotel—it is a town full of stories! Here are six facts about the town that make Seymour a unique spot to visit:

  • Humble origins: Seymour was first settled in 1857 by William and John Ausbourne. They traveled from Outagamie County and kept going until there were no more roads to follow. They built a log house, and it remained the only home for two years. The closest neighbors were in Osborn. More settlers moved into the area in 1864, including Willis and Dan Mungers. The home they built marked Main Street, and their daughter Sally built another home on the future South Main Street.
  • The name: Seymour was officially founded in 1869. It was named for Horatio Seymour, who was governor of New York. As the population continued to grow, it was recognized as a registered town in 1877, along with Osborn and Freedom.
  • Growth by railroad: Like many towns in the west, Seymour faced further growth as the railroad expanded. The Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railroad was completed in the early 1880s, and Seymour built a station in 1883. It was soon recognized as the smallest incorporated city in the nation. As the railroad made the town more accessible, it added resources like a school system and a tax to support it. The first school was a one-room building without a floor, but it still helped the town become established with families.
  • The first newspaper: The first newspaper of the City of Seymour was The Aurora. It started between 1887 and 1889, and only published for three years. A new paper, The Seymour Press, started on July 8, 1866, and was published by the Van Vuren family. The Aurora existed independently for 80 years and sold to Shellman Publishing Company in Oconto Falls. It is still available today.
  • First hamburger: At the Seymour Fair of 1885, Charlie Nagreen decided to flatten a meatball and place it between two slices of bread. His idea was to make a meatball sandwich easier to carry around the fair. It went further than he expected, and later became that favorite American staple, the hamburger.
  • Dedication to history: Seymour, Wisconsin is full of stories, and new ones are discovered all the time by dedicated residents. We maintain an active historical society, which was established in 1975 with help from the state historical society. Members continue to collect records, preserve artifacts and offer learning opportunities to all who visit. On July 21, 2012, the society opened a community museum, which was fully funded by private donors.

Indulge yourself in the history of Seymour, WI and, after visiting the sites and learning more about our history, get a bite to eat at the Hotel Seymour Supperclub. We offer fine dining, cocktails and scrumptious desserts. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Leave a Reply